[X4U] Problems with airport extreme and microwave

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Mon Dec 31 08:43:36 PST 2007

On 12/31/07 10:27 AM, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

> I have all of my machines--three mac minis, a Windows box and a linux box, all
> using wireless via Airport Extreme. the problem I am having is that one or mor
> computers drops its Internet connection frequently when I am running the
> microwave. I know this because if I'm listening to a radio station online when
> I run the microwave, the station may quit; it may or may not start up again
> without any intervention. My Internet connection doesn't appear to be
> permanently disconnected or anything; after running the microwave I can
> connect to the website again without having to do anything with airport or my
> computer Internet connections. I don't think this was happening when I first
> started using wireless and am not sure what triggered it. I'm using the
> Airport Extreme with b/g connectivity and not the new Airport Extreme. Is
> there something I can do with either my airport settings or my computer
> settings to stop this from happening?

You can try changing channels on your router, changing the "Robustness"
setting, or moving it farther away, outside the microwave's reach.
Otherwise, no, there's not a lot you can do, short of replacing your gear;
microwaves, cordless home phones, and other home appliances that use the
same frequency as routers can all contribute to the problem.

<http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=42203>

<http://www.cyberwalker.com/features/hub/interference.html>

<http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=5942>

<http://www.diy-home-theater-design.com/wireless-router.html>