[X4U] Cell phone/ICAL question

Norman Cohen nacohen at mac.com
Mon Dec 31 21:59:32 PST 2007

Dear Ed,

I have a Blackberry 8700. Using the relatively inexpensive Missing
Sync software, I am able to keep all my data from iCal on my
Blackberry. If I add any appointments, those get synced back to a
Blackberry calendar on my computer. PocketMac has a software package
that RIM (the Blackberry manufacturer) provides for free. My
experience is that it rarely worked and was more trouble than it was
worth. I have had a Blackberry for about 3 years. It works great for
email, fair as a phone, so-so as a web browser. It has been pretty
reliable. I do plan on getting an iPhone when my contract runs out in
a few months.

The Blackberry is a bit complex to use. Your history of a stroke may
make using the fairly small keys challenging.

As far as other phones go, there is, of course, the iPhone which does
supposedly work pretty well with iCal :)

Depending on your level of disability from the stroke, the iPhone may
or may not be a good option for you. The predictive typing feature may
help overcome difficulties with using the touch screen. Since the
whole display becomes a keyboard or dialing pad, the buttons are
pretty large and form a decent sized target. One downside to the
iPhone is that it doesn't have voice activated calling, something that
may be of help in your situation. If you haven't already, I would
suggest going to an Apple store if there is one nearby and try it out
to see if you are able to control it adequately.

Palm Treos also supposedly work with iCal, using Missing Sync
software. I have to admit that Treos are not getting very good press
lately. Palm's customer service has gone downhill according to recent
reports that I've seen.
<http://www.tnl.net/blog/2007/12/27/could-tech-support-undo-palm/>

Hope this helps,

Norm
---
Norman A. Cohen
nacohen at mac.com

"The coward dies a thousand deaths, the brave man...only five hundred."
Meredith Willson