[X4U] MacBook and USB modem

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Mon Feb 5 11:46:41 PST 2007

On Feb 5, 2007, at 6:06 AM, nk wrote:

> I've been reading about the MacBook's impressive performance, and
> actually looking at the BTO page, where one option is a Modem which
> you connect via USB.
>
> IOW, another thingie with a wire to keep track of!
>
> I had a snow ibook (great machine) with an internal 56K modem. any
> idea why apple abandoned that in favor of this new gizmo?

The Apple V.92 USB modem is tiny.  About the size of a pack of
chewing gum. It's easy to transport.  It is also a piece of garbage,
as it is a softmodem that has been problematic for lots of users.

I don't know the technical reasons, but apparently you can't purchase
a V.92 USB modem meant for a Windows computer, tweak the
initialization string, and have it work with your Macintosh, like you
could with earlier modems.

So for now the only other choice for a Macintosh-compatible external
USB V.92 modem is the Best Data V.92 USB external fax modem for
Macintosh.  Fortunately this is not a softmodem, and though not as
tiny as Apple's, it is fairly small compared to other full
performance modems.

Best Data V.92 USB external fax modem for Macintosh
http://www.bestdata.com/index.php?file=c-allproddesc&iProductId=16161

$54 with free shipping
<http://www.buy.com/retail/Product.asp?
sku=10346238&SearchEngine=CJdealsden&Type=CJ&Keyword=10346238&adid=17662

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (3rd, 4th, and 5th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html