[X4U] My iMac is narcoleptic

Brett George brettgeorge at comcast.net
Mon Feb 5 15:23:55 PST 2007

In my opinion, no, it's not a problem. After all, part of the system
configuration is a control panel that allows you to set the time allowed
before automatically going to sleep.

Also, I have my system, G4/1.33GHz/1.25GB Ram/OS 10.4.8, set to NEVER
sleep. Only the monitor goes to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity.
The G4 has bee turned on for about 4 years now. Only shut down if I'm
going to be away for more than a day and/or restarted for regular
maintenance.
And I have not had any major problems what so ever.

I do think that sleeping the hard drive several times a day will shorten
the machine's life expectancy.
I have also found that this ends up being nothing more than a personal
prederence. Some people believe in shutting down completely every day,
some in sleeping the entire system and some more in sleeping only the
monitor.

That's my opinion for what it's worth.

brett