[X4U] My iMac is narcoleptic

Fabian Fang ftf at mac.com
Mon Feb 5 14:01:20 PST 2007

On Feb 5, 2007, at 11:38 AM, Mark Des Cotes wrote:

> I have an iMac G5 at home. Ever since we started using OS X, back
> on our old slot loading iMac DV, we've (the family) been in the
> habit of putting the computer to sleep when we were done with it
> instead of shutting it down. That's fine, I know. But for some
> reason the rest of my family has started putting the computer to
> sleep each time they leave it. Even if they know they'll be back in
> 10 minutes or so. I've often left the computer to go do something
> or get something only to have my wife or one of the kids tell me
> "you left the computer on". Waking it up only takes a couple of
> seconds but can constantly sleeping and waking it do any harm?

As the owner of a iMac G5 (20", iSight), I recently began to visit
the Apple Discussion Forum for iMac G5, especially the "Using Your
iMac G5" Category as follows, just to see what problems other owners
have experienced:
<http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=881&start=0>

I was quite shocked in reading the countless messages, complaining
about power-related problems, including sleep-wake issues.  If you
have never done it, you may wish to visit that Forum, and possibly
even sign up for automatic e-mail notification about your selected
topics of interest.  Depending on the specific version of your iMac
G5, it may be covered under Apple's two "repair extension" programs.

Fabian