[X4U] iMac

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Feb 9 07:58:56 PST 2007

On 8 Feb 2007, at 18:54, Craig A. Finseth wrote:
> Depends on what you are doing.  Things take a long time to load, but
> run pretty well once up.  Things being Safari, Office, and NeoOffice.

Indeed. I have a old G3 iMac "DV edition" here which I find
remarkably acceptable in this regard.

We keep hearing that each release of OS X runs faster than its
predecessors on older hardware, yet I assume that there were people
using these machines happily enough with 10.1 or 10.2.

I wouldn't like to use this 300mhz or 400mhz iMac of mine for my main
machine but surfing the web is quite acceptable. True enough the
beachball spins whilst Safari loads, but once it does I might even
describe loading of pages and clicking through of links as "snappy".
I wouldn't swear to that, mind, because I haven't used this machine
in a while, but I do recall really being quite impressed.

A final point: you can ALWAYS recycle your old computers using your
local Freecycle mailing list. You can find the one closest to you at
<http://freecycle.org>. Even old 486s seem to go quite quickly, and I
can assure you that you will get many responses if you offer any Mac
or a PC of 300mhz or faster. If you're keen to spread the faith then
you might wish to include an offer to set the machine up, as many
respondents will have no experience of Macs and their "helpful"
friends will all be Windows tinkerers. I suggest you state in your
offer that you won't operate on a "first come, first served" basis
but will wait a day or two before allocating the item. I encourage in
my offers responses of more than one line ("please tell me a little
about yourself & your interest in this computer") as, althgough I
have met a number of very nice, interesting & helpful people through
Freecycle, unfortunately the thought that one must hurry to get some
"free stuff" does leave some people little time to compose a
courteous, less still a charming, reply.

Stroller.