[X4U] Recycling Mac's

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Feb 9 08:12:27 PST 2007

On 9 Feb 2007, at 03:56, Daly Jessup wrote:
> I had a perfectly working Epson 777 color inkjet printer which
> contained almost new color and black ink cartridges plus two brand
> new color and black Epson original cartridges. It included the
> driver installer CD and power and USB cables. I was unable to give
> it to any member. One lady who is head of technology at the local
> elementary schools said she could not accept  it. The schools were
> accepting nothing less than color laser printers.
>
> Incredible. I could only imagine the teachers who are paying for
> supplies out of their own pockets while the district won't permit
> them to accept donations like this.  I mean this printer would at
> least  have permitted some teacher to print out an entire learning
> module and reports before she had to dispose of it.

You would wish that a teacher print out an entire learning module and
then dispose of the printer?
I do not know this particular model, but it is often the case that
with many inkjets it's cheaper to replace the printer than to buy new
cartridges!

Using an inkjet on a regular basis is likely just not cost-effective
for a teacher, especially considering the number of old HP Laserjets
kicking around. HP specified their workgroup models (such as the 4 &
5 and the 4000 series) at 65,000 pages per month IIRC, and you'll
often find them being thrown out with "only" half a million pages on
the clock (you can determine the page count by printing a test page
from one of the menus). These are therefore being disposed of with
only about "10 months use" (at the specified duty cycle) and a
cartridge, which you can pick up brand new on eBay for about £20,
will do 20,000 pages, IIRC.

And yes, I was surprised to find that teachers around here are paying
for supplies out of their own pockets. By the last month or half-term
of the school year the photocopying budget in our town is exhausted
and the only way teachers can provide printed hand-outs for the kids
is to produce them at home. :(

Stroller.