[X4U] Recycling Mac's

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Sat Feb 10 18:58:39 PST 2007

At 4:12 PM +0000 9/2/07, Stroller wrote:

>You would wish that a teacher print out an
>entire learning module and then dispose of the
>printer?
>I do not know this particular model, but it is
>often the case that with many inkjets it's
>cheaper to replace the printer than to buy new
>cartridges!

That was the whole point. I was providing a
working printer with cartridges in it almost full
plus an extra set of cartridges. I myself have
taught kindergarten and fourth grade in the U.S.,
admittendly before the situatino in this country
was as awful as it is now. The point is that YES,
I thought an teacher would be grateful to have a
few hundreds pages of printing offered free
before the printer had to be disposed of because
the district would/could not afford to replace
the ink. I was offering hundreds of pages of
printing for free.

>Using an inkjet on a regular basis is likely
>just not cost-effective for a teacher,
>especially considering the number of old HP
>Laserjets kicking around. HP specified their
>workgroup models (such as the 4 & 5 and the 4000
>series) at 65,000 pages per month IIRC, and
>you'll often find them being thrown out with
>"only" half a million pages on the clock (you
>can determine the page count by printing a test
>page from one of the menus). These are therefore
>being disposed of with only about "10 months
>use" (at the specified duty cycle) and a
>cartridge, which you can pick up brand new on
>eBay for about £20, will do 20,000 pages, IIRC.

What does that have to do with it? I had a
printer primed to print hundreds of color pages
for FREE. Then throw the unit away when it needed
new ink.

>And yes, I was surprised to find that teachers
>around here are paying for supplies out of their
>own pockets. By the last month or half-term of
>the school year the photocopying budget in our
>town is exhausted and the only way teachers can
>provide printed hand-outs for the kids is to
>produce them at home. :(

Yes. It's been going on for years. When our
daughter was in locals schools a decade ago, we
were regular asked to send her to school with
paper, pencils, colored pencils, protractor,
scratch paper, regular pencil, pencl sharpener,
and many other things. Plus there were fund
raisers throughout the year. And this is is a
rather high-middle-class neighborhood of San
Diego.

So anyway, my printer.  Who care what
replacements cost if someone is offering hundreds
of  pages free and no requirement to renew when
the printer runs out of ink?

They STILL are not allowed to accept the donation!?

And meanwhile as a parent I had been required to
provide supplies worth pennies plus participate
in fund-raising drives for minor supplies??!!

Daly