[X4U] Recycling Mac's

Peter Saint James peterstj at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 11 12:07:11 PST 2007

	You would be surprised who wants old computer equipment.

	I threw away some stuff that was so old that I figured no one could
use it anymore.  It had 8" floppy drives, for example.  "Who would
ever use that?" I thought.

	A few months later I found out NASA was looking for just the stuff I
threw out.  It seems that the space shuttles have old computer
equipment in them.  Since everything in those vehicles is so tightly
integrated with everything else, it's difficult to replace just one
component.  So they keep finding replacement parts for these ancient
systems.  Or at least, that's how I got the story.

							Peter