[X4U] Airport Express

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Feb 12 09:18:20 PST 2007

On 12 Feb 2007, at 12:26, Jan Melichar wrote:
> I'm using a Netgear DG834GT wireless router which is contacted to a
> G5 by eathernet and wirelessly to a powerbook and Airport Express.
>
> While I can set up WEP security which works fine with the powerbook
> I cannot see how this can be set up with Airport Express.
> So I tried setting the security details in Airport Express before
> activating them in the router but got the following message"
>
> "Joining a WPA-protected network and making changes to a WPA-
> protected base station requires a WPA capable computer. This
> computer is not WPA capable. If you continue you will not be able
> to join the WPA-protected network or make changes to the WPA-
> protected base station."
>
> Since AE is WPA capable I ignored the warning and went ahead.
> Unfortunately this did not help establish a connection and do what
> I may I cannot establish a workable connection.

WPA is different from WEP, so the AE is not able to authenticate to
the DG834GT.

Either set both units to WEP (I advise a 128-bit key) or set both to
WPA (I advise this - use a key or password of a dozen or two digits).

You appear to have done things right, otherwise, and this is a
notoriously tricky sort of procedure.

Perhaps you can configure the encryption on the Netgear first and
then plug your Mac into the ethernet of the Airport in order to
configure it? This would mean that security wouldn't affect the
connection between your Mac & the AE & you could concentrate on
connecting the AE to the Netgear. I don't know about the Airport, but
on many other wireless bridges you do get the options to "scan for
networks" and to choose which one you want to connect to. You're then
asked for the encryption key - one great thing about the Netgear is
that you connect with a cable, copy the whole key (it's amazing how
many routers break the key into groups of 2 digits, rendering this
impossible!) and then paste it into the appropriate wireless
connection dialogue.

Stroller.