[X4U] Airport Express

Jan Melichar janmel at mac.com
Mon Feb 12 04:26:30 PST 2007

Now that I am surrounded by wireless networks I thought it was time I
enabled some security.
I'm using a Netgear DG834GT wireless router which is contacted to a
G5 by eathernet and wirelessly to a powerbook and Airport Express.

While I can set up WEP security which works fine with the powerbook I
cannot see how this can be set up with Airport Express. After setting
up WAP, Airport Express become unavailable.

So I tried setting the security details in Airport Express before
activating them in the router but got the following message"

"Joining a WPA-protected network and making changes to a WPA-
protected base station requires a WPA capable computer. This computer
is not WPA capable. If you continue you will not be able to join the
WPA-protected network or make changes to the WPA-protected base
station."

Since AE is WPA capable I ignored the warning and went ahead.
Unfortunately this did not help establish a connection and do what I
may I cannot establish a workable connection.

I have now disable security options reset AE to factory setting
unplugged i,t spoke to it sharply and then kindly but to no effect.

The router 'sees' AE as an attached devise and Airport Assistant on
the Powerbook (AE is inaccessible via Airport Admin or Set up on the
G5) can identify it by flashing its light orange and green  but when
all is done only orange flashes.

This experience remind me a little of the problems setting up a
modems 15 years ago - not a fond memory and the manuals on wireless
security are as impenetrable as those for modems in those days.

Any advice on how to set up security in my (surely not uncommon)
circumstance would be very welcome

Jan