[X4U] Accessing Mail Pismo To my G4 lap top

David Ledger dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 19 11:26:43 PST 2007

>From: Geoffrey Loefffler <geoffrey at alaska.net>
>It just seems so ludicrous, why would the ISP care what I do with my
>account as long as I was not doing anything wrong or . I wondered if
>I called them if they would just
>go along with it. After all it is Alaska, however they sold out to a
>big telco who does not give probably even care.

They're worried that you might know of an open mailserver and use it
to send spam. The ISP for that open mailserver could then trace the
packets as coming from your ISP and blacklist them. That would affect
all the other users of your ISP when trying to email people who use
that other ISP.

>There is a shareware called Postfix Enabler, that my  weary brain is
>trying to wrap around. I generally like to stay pretty mainstream.
>What a bunch of bunk, this must
>be to help push the WiFi services available in most cities now of
>course with another 59.00 ISP.

When you send mail, your mail program connects to an smtp server at
your ISP (or wherever). If you set up Postfix, your mail program then
connects to your own local smtp server that is Postfix. Postfix still
needs to connect to an external smtp server to get the message out,
so you're no nearer (in fact you're sort of one step further away).

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk