[X4U] Connecting Brother HL-1240 to Airport

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Tue Feb 20 05:25:17 PST 2007

>On Feb 19, 2007, at 9:48 PM, Brett Conlon wrote:
>
>>Being both laptops we were hoping for the freedom of roaming in the house
>>and not being restricted to cables when printing.

Here's a page at the Apple site about getting USB printers to work
with Airport Base Stations.

I know that not all USB printers support printing from the base
station. The other day I found a list of supported USB printers, but
I can't find it today. I do notice that at the end of the referenced
page, it says to contact your printer manufacturer to find out if
your printer supports the Airport connection.  Also, note that for
people trying this with multifunction printers, only the printing
function can be used over the  Airport connection, not scanning or
the rest.

Here is an unofficial list of printers that support the Airport Extreme:
<http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/1013.html>
There are some Brother printers on that list.

That page links to a page at the Brother site that offers a
workaround if your printer seems not to work with the base station:
<http://global.solutions.brother.com/Library/en_us/faq/faq000512_000/>

Daly