[X4U] Palms and Mac's

David Ledger dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 02:40:13 PST 2007

>From: Bob Aldridge <aldridgebob63 at comcast.net>
>Can anyone point me to a web site that gives information about Mac¼s and
>Palm devices working together? I purchased a Palm Tungsten for my wife
>awhile back but never really got it figure out for integrating with the Mac.
>I purchased Missing Sync for the Mac but I don¼t really understand it, and
>the manual is huge.

Bob

Persevere with Missing Sync. It works while the Palm offering only
partly works.
How far have you got? I was totally confused when I started with it.

I've not done it this way - it was trial and error with my Clie and
slightly better with my Life Drive - but it may help.
1.    Open Missing Sync.
2.    Define a new device with the Handhelds button.
3.    Select the Conduits tab.
4.    Select the Install profile - the only thing checked should be
the Install conduit.
5.    Select USB/BlueTooth connection icon as appropriate.
6.    Run HotSync on the Palm. It will try to connect to the Mac.
Here's where you configure and debug your connection. Some Missing
Sync utilities may be loaded onto the Palm. Other than that this is a
dry run of the connection setup. Once the Palm can connect cleanly,
go on to the next step.
7.    Select the Backup profile - the only thing checked should be
the Backup conduit.
8.    Highlight the Backup conduit line and click the Settings... button.
9.    In the pop-down, select Backup and the rest as required.
10.  Run HotSync on the Palm. It will connect and do a backup.
11.  Select the Sync profile.
12.  De-select all conduits.
13.  Select one conduit for a Palm database that has some content and
tick it. Only ever select one conduit for a database, for example
don't select both the Mark/Space Contacts conduit with the Address
Book icon and the Contacts conduit without. The first will sync with
the Address Book, the second with the Palm Desktop address book. It
can only cope with one.
14.  Highlight the selected conduit line and click the Settings... button.
15.  Configure the settings as required. If syncing with a Mac app,
you can't overwrite the Mac data with the Palm data; you have to
Synchronize.
16.  Run HotSync on the Palm. It will connect and sync. If you have
similar entries on Mac and Palm it will ask about resolving conflicts.
17.  Repeat with another conduit till it's doing all the ones you want.

Each time the Palm HotSyncs it connects and uses whatever conduits
are selected. Profiles are an easy way to say 'Next HotSync I want to
use all conduits selected by the Backup profile' or 'Next HotSync I
want to use all conduits selected by the Sync profile'. You can
create your own profile(s). You might leave it set to a profile with
the Backup, Mark/Space Contacts and Mark/Space Events conduits
enabled so that every HotSync does a backup and syncs your Address
Book and iCal.

Let me know how if the above helps, or, if not, what I've missed or got wrong.

It is possible that you may need to do an initial connection using
Palm Desktop. I did with my Life Drive because it loaded some extras
that were needed that couldn't be got any other way. The Missing Sync
installation knows about Palm Desktop and overlays where it needs to.
(Re)installing Missing Sync after any initial use of Palm Desktop
should give you a working Missing Sync setup as long as the Palm
Desktop background monitor agent isn't running at the time.

David

Palms and Mac's ? | Palm's and Macs | Palms and Macs - that's better. :-)

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk