[X4U] Keyboard language mapping changing "on its own"

Mark Des Cotes mark at astroprinting.com
Fri Jan 5 05:48:47 PST 2007

Very interesting, we have five Macs here all at 10.4.8. Two have
Spotlight keyboard shortcuts of Command+Space and three have keyboard
shortcuts of Control+Space. It's possible that I changed the
shortcuts on those three machines but I honestly don't remember doing
it (I maintain all computers in the shop). The two Macs with Command
+Space did not have the Input Menu enabled under the International
Preference pane. The Input Menu tab under the International
Preference clearly states that Command+Space is the keyboard shortcut
for previous input source. When I turn it on on those two Macs a
little yellow warning marker appears saying I have a shortcut conflict.

I also checked our one Mac that is still on 10.3.9 (pre-Spotlight)
and Command+Space is the keyboard shortcut for the International
Input Menu there as well. So I would guess that Apple made a mistake
when it assigned Command+Space to Spotlight.

Back to the original posters problem. His International Input kept
changing on him and he didn't know why. I had had the same problem
back in 10.3.? and I remembered that it was caused whenever I used
the keyboard shortcut in Adobe Photoshop for the magnifying glass
which is Command+Space. The shortcut worked in Photoshop but it also
changed my keyboard input. Turning off the keyboard shortcut for the
International Menu solved the problem.

Come to think of it, I seem to remember the little Spotlight bar
appearing at the upper right of my window whenever I'd use the
magnifying glass in PS. So chances are I did change the Spotlight
shortcut to Control+Space but just don't remember. Guess my mind is
starting to go.

Mark Des Cotes
Systems Manager/Graphic Designer

Astro Printing Service (Cornwall) Ltd.
3308 Second Street East
Cornwall Ontario Canada  K6H 6J8
T (613) 932-9281 Ext 106,  F (613) 932-1052
www.astroprinting.com