[X4U] dragging files to burn onto disk

Mark Des Cotes mark at astroprinting.com
Tue Jan 9 11:16:12 PST 2007

Boy, do I feel stupid.

I just experimented by dragging a folder onto a CD with the Option
key held down. A progress bar appeared showing the folder being
copied over. I then dragged another folder over this time without the
Option key. This time there was no progress bar. (both folder are
aprox 100MB in size). Checking the disk on the desktop shows both
folders, one listed as a folder the other as an Alias. That's where I
would pause in the past. I would remove the Alias and, holding the
Option key drag the folder over again. This time I didn't I just
burned the disk. After the burn, low and behold I have two complete
folders on the CD. The difference being the one I dragged over with
the Option key held lists today's date and the time I dragged it
over. The one that was an Alias lists the actual date and time the
folder was last modified. All this time I've thought I had been
burning Aliases when I forgot the Option key. I've thrown out who
knows how many disks and started over without ever checking them.

Never too old to learn.

Mark Des Cotes
Systems Manager/Graphic Designer

Astro Printing Service (Cornwall) Ltd.
3308 Second Street East
Cornwall Ontario Canada  K6H 6J8
T (613) 932-9281 Ext 106,  F (613) 932-1052
www.astroprinting.com