[X4U] dragging files to burn onto disk

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Wed Jan 10 22:55:59 PST 2007

On 11 Jan 2007, at 02:33, Eddie Hargreaves wrote:
> On 1/9/07 3:02 PM, John Erdman <jperdman at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> And by pure concidence this happens to be the Mac OSX "tip of the
>> week" that shows up on my screen saver.
>>
>> http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/burningaliases.html
>
> Yeah, the Tiger method of burning CDs and DVDs via the Finder
> sucks. If they
> have to run a Pro Tip just to explain its basic functionality, then
> it's no
> good.

That Pro Tip seemed redundant to me.

> Mark, you're not the only person who has assumed that it burns
> aliases. I read criticism from a switcher about it online.

I'm surprised! I didn't know what an alias was before I switched, and
I have used them surely on only a handful of occasions. CD-burning in
Finder (did they add it in 10.3??) has always "just made sense" to
me, and I never thought of the icons on the disk as being "aliases"
but instead "shortcut icons indicating the files that are going to be
burned".

In fact the drag-n-drop CD-burning in Windows XP is remarkably
similar to Finder's CD-burning, and I'd expect anyone who has
undertaken that to find OS X's CD-burning seamless. I'm pretty sure I
learned them the other way around (OS X first) myself, but the only
difference in XP is that the icons-indicating-the-files-that-are-
going-to-be-burned are not identical to Windows' shortcut icons -
just very similar.

Stroller.