[X4U] dragging files to burn onto disk

Mark Des Cotes mark at astroprinting.com
Thu Jan 11 05:41:10 PST 2007

Stroller,

The problem is that Apple changed their method during one of their OS
upgrades. I think it was Tiger but I could be wrong. Before, when you
inserted a blank CD or DVD the computer created a sort of "temporary
partition" for it (I don't know the technical aspect, this is just
the way I saw it) If you checked your HD space some of it was missing
due to the blank media using it. When you dragged files onto a CD or
DVD in the finder they would in fact be copied, in full, to this new
partition. Then after you burnt the disk the OS would release the
temporary partition and you would have your HD space back. Then Apple
changed things and now inserting a blank CD or DVD creates a "burn
folder". I see now, after reading the weekly tip, that the files
dragged to the disk are Aliases that reference the actual files at
the time of burning and that this method is somehow more efficient
than the old way. But for someone like me who's been burning disks on
Mac since OS 8, if not earlier, it was strange to see Aliases added
when I dragged my files over. As I stated in my first post, if you
hold the Option key while dragging your files over they do in fact
get copied to the burn folder. I don't know if that compromises the
efficiency or not.

Mark Des Cotes
Systems Manager/Graphic Designer

Astro Printing Service (Cornwall) Ltd.
3308 Second Street East
Cornwall Ontario Canada  K6H 6J8
T (613) 932-9281 Ext 106,  F (613) 932-1052
www.astroprinting.com