[X4U] Networking PPC and MacIntel

Earle Jones earle.jones at comcast.net
Thu Jan 11 22:41:57 PST 2007

On Jan 11, 2007, at 5:06 PM, Tim Collier wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2007, at 11:56 AM, nk wrote:
>
>> Anyone here who owns both and can talk about whatever issues there
>> might be networking them together?
>>
>> I'm thinking about the small, at-home set up with either a simple
>> router, or a DSL switch/router.
>>
>> thanks!
>>
>> nk

*
nk:

If your G4 is pretty old (that is, not compatible with Airport
Extreme), and...

If you can find an old original Mac Airport card (not Airport
Extreme) for it,

Then, you can use the Airport Extreme Base Station, which will
recognize both the Intel Mac (which has Airport Extreme wired in) and
the G4.

This is what I did -- the connection was pretty simple -- and very
reliable.  Never any network problems.  And no penalty in speed -- I
typically get 4 to 5 Mbps (download) via my Comcast connection.

You can save a couple of pennies with 3rd-party routers (Linksys,
etc.), but for ultimate reliability, stick with Mac.

My next project is to connect the Airport Extreme Base Station to my
(upstairs) TIVO, if I can convince myself that the TIVO wireless
adapter is compatible with the Base Station.  Has anyone tried this?
The TIVO paperwork says that the adapter is compatible with both Mac
and PC, but I need more info.  If they are compatible, I will be able
to do all sorts of stuff -- in addition to updating the TIVO program
material,  I can play my iTunes lilbrary on my TV and show all sorts
of pix and movies, etc.

earle
*