[X4U] Networking PPC and MacIntel

Tim Collier timjcollier at mac.com
Thu Jan 11 17:06:10 PST 2007

On Jan 11, 2007, at 11:56 AM, nk wrote:

> Anyone here who owns both and can talk about whatever issues there
> might be networking them together?
>
> I'm thinking about the small, at-home set up with either a simple
> router, or a DSL switch/router.
>
> thanks!
>
> nk

That was my original setup.  I bought a simple D-Link router which
connected to my DSL modem (I have cable now) and everything worked
just fine.  You can either assign an IP address to the individual
Macs or use DHCP and have them assigned.
Now, I use the Airport Extreme base station and my house is
completely wireless.  I have 4 Macs on the network plus a network
printer.  Oh, the Macs:  2 desktops, one Intel and the other a G5, 2
Intel laptops that we use at the other end of the house.
Mac networking is simple, especially if you use Apple Hardware.  It
becomes a bit more complicated if you start using Linksys or D-Link,
etc routers (wired or wireless).  Anyway, I've had my wireless
network running for the past 4 years with Apple hardware without ONE
SINGLE problem.
The DSL or Cable modem has to connect to the router, be it wired or
wireless.  It goes to the WAN port and on a wired network, the Macs
connect to the LAN ports.  If it's a wireless network, all you have
to do is connect the DSL or Cable Modem to the WAN port.

Tim