[X4U] Sources of PPC Mac drying up

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Jan 14 18:16:09 PST 2007

At 5:20 PM -0500 1/14/07, Neil wrote:
>on 1/14/07 3:09 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>
>>  when it comes time for me to move from my G5 2x2
>
>I also have a G5 2x2.  Do you have any idea how it compares to the new
>iMacs, Minis, and Mac Pros when it comes to the speed of universal apps?
>There must be a web site for this purpose.
>
>MS Office wont go universal until late this year.  Do you know if iWork can
>read MS Word and PPS docs?  Can it edit them?

Based on some spec's I saw the faster of the two current Intel-based
Mac Mini's are already faster than the G5 2x2.  The strange thing is,
the Mac Mini's are still "Core Duo's" while I believe everything else
is now Core 2 Duo.

I recently had the opportunity to use a pair of 17" MacBook Pro's
while I was working on getting them fully configured.  They're
screaming fast machines, very nice (lot nicer than the 1st Gen and
2nd Gen clamshell iBooks they are replacing).  As far as I can tell,
MS Office 2004 works great on these systems, and seemed about as fast
as on my G5 2x2.

Personally I don't have any reason to move off of my G5 2x2, I'd be
better off just buying more RAM or 500GB+ HD's for my G5 than
upgrading at this point, as my only issue is RAM and disk space.  I
plan on upgrading to the next version of MS Office and Adobe CS3
Premium sometime in the next couple years, that way when I do finally
upgrade my hardware I am running native.

		Zane