[X4U] Sources of PPC Mac drying up

Tim Collier timjcollier at mac.com
Mon Jan 15 01:37:55 PST 2007

On Jan 14, 2007, at 7:08 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:

> At 5:20 PM -0500 1/14/07, Neil wrote:
>
>> MS Office wont go universal until late this year.  Do you know if
>> iWork can
>> read MS Word and PPS docs?  Can it edit them?
>
>  Pages opens and edits Word documents. Keynote opens and edits
> PowerPoint documents. Not having used them for real work, I don't
> know if there are hidden "gotchas" on the surface, it looks very
> good for basic documents without a lot of frills and macros and all
> that.

I've been using Pages and Keynote for quite some time now.  They're
good applications and you can't beat the price.  Pages can be a bit
quirkly at times, trying to figure out how to format something isn't
as easy as it is in Word but I like it.  I run Office on my Mac Pro
but on this MacBook, I only have iWork 06.
Also, iWeb is a nice 'simple' app for creating a web page on .Mac and
even works on my Comcast web site (that amazed me) but for REAL web
pages, I like GoLive CS2....a universal is promised for the end of
2007 just like Photoshop and other Adobe apps.
Even Microsoft will eventually come out with a new universal install
of Office.....someday, but I'm not holding my breath.

Tim