[X4U] Combination software problem

David Candler dcandler at sasktel.net
Mon Jan 15 07:08:26 PST 2007

On 15-Jan-07, at 3:30 AM, Tim Collier wrote:

>> Thanks for the suggestion.  I gave it a try but unfortunately it
>> didn't work.  As Brett mentioned I probably can't do much more
>> until I get some 10.4 disks.  For now, though I've got Firefox,
>> which is fine since it's all I used in Linux anyway.  As for DVD
>> playing, I tried VLC and apparently a lowly 400Mhz G4 isn't up to
>> the task of running it without stuttering video and/or sound
>> (depending on how I size the window), even after killing off
>> everything else I had running.  So I downloaded NicePlayer and
>> find it performs flawlessly.  Good enough!
>
> Eventually, you're going to need to OS X installation disks.
> Unless you just plan on waiting for Leopard.  OS X 10.4 isn't that
> expensive anymore....you can find it for a reasonable price at
> quite a few places.  Your response that since Safari doesn't work,
> you'll just use Firefox?  OK, I use Firefox too, but I prefer
> Safari.  To me, if Safari didn't work, that would simply be
> unacceptable.  I'd back up my data and re-install the OS, but you
> can't as you don't have the OS install disks.  And a G4 400 isn't
> lowly, OS X 10.4.8 runs fine on a G3 Blue and White!
>
> Tim

Yes, I'm definitely picking up some install disks this week.  My wife
also just picked up a G3 800 ibook with 10.4.8 that came without
disks, too.  So it'll be handy for both of us.   I have no complaints
with the speed of my machine.  Yeah, some things chugged a bit and
I'll playfully complain about it being 'lowly', but overall I've had
a  positive experience with it.  It works fine for what I need it for
which is typical internet use, music, DVDs, pictures and home/farm
office work with NeoOffice.  For games, which I have precious little
time for with a young family (4 year old and 20 month old twins, all
boys), I run a 2Ghz PC.

Regarding Safari, I actually preferred it to Firefox as well.  It
just seemed to run smoother.  My only complaint was that when
dragging a link to a tab, the page scrolled up.  A bit annoying but I
still ran Safari until this latest problem cropped up.

David Candler     dcandler at sasktel.net
      Chaplin, Saskatchewan Canada