[X4U] Combination software problem

Tim Collier timjcollier at mac.com
Mon Jan 15 01:30:36 PST 2007

On Jan 14, 2007, at 5:56 PM, David Candler wrote:

> On 14-Jan-07, at 10:42 AM, Linda wrote:
>
>> On 1/14/07 9:21 AM, David Candler wrote:
>>
>>> what I did find seemed to
>>> indicate that Shapeshifter can be a cause of some of these problems.
>>> I hadn't used it in a while anyway, so I deleted what I could
>>> find of
>>> it.  That didn't seem to help me, though.
>>
>> Shapeshifter comes with an Uninstaller -- if you didn't keep it
>> when you
>> installed it, try downloading Shapeshifter again so that you can
>> truly
>> uninstall it.
>>

> Thanks for the suggestion.  I gave it a try but unfortunately it
> didn't work.  As Brett mentioned I probably can't do much more
> until I get some 10.4 disks.  For now, though I've got Firefox,
> which is fine since it's all I used in Linux anyway.  As for DVD
> playing, I tried VLC and apparently a lowly 400Mhz G4 isn't up to
> the task of running it without stuttering video and/or sound
> (depending on how I size the window), even after killing off
> everything else I had running.  So I downloaded NicePlayer and find
> it performs flawlessly.  Good enough!

Eventually, you're going to need to OS X installation disks.  Unless
you just plan on waiting for Leopard.  OS X 10.4 isn't that expensive
anymore....you can find it for a reasonable price at quite a few
places.  Your response that since Safari doesn't work, you'll just
use Firefox?  OK, I use Firefox too, but I prefer Safari.  To me, if
Safari didn't work, that would simply be unacceptable.  I'd back up
my data and re-install the OS, but you can't as you don't have the OS
install disks.  And a G4 400 isn't lowly, OS X 10.4.8 runs fine on a
G3 Blue and White!

Tim