[X4U] Sources of PPC Mac drying up

David Ledger dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 15 09:39:51 PST 2007

>From: Tim Collier <timjcollier at mac.com>
>.... we Mac users have developed our own subgroup.  I'd call them
>"ostriches".
>Even though OS X was released WAY back in 2001 or so, we still have a
>core group who refuses to even try it.  They insist that OS 9 is the
>only OS that they would even consider using.  We've also developed an
>even newer subgroup who say that they can only use a G3-5 to run
>their applications and won't even consider buying a new Intel based Mac.
>These people have their heads buried in the sand.  Ostriches!
< snip >
>Tim

You have to remember that everyone is different, and not everyone who
reads lists like this puts as much importance on their computer as we
do. Some only read when they have a problem.

Some have real reasons. I will not get an Intel Mac yet (unless
something dies) because I only migrated my company accounts off from
a now Classic-only program five years ago. I have to be able to
access those accounts for two more years. That means I have to be
sure I have a running Classic-capable Mac for two more years. If I
upgraded and my accounts wouldn't run under Sheepshaver I'd have to
keep two Macs running.

When people say they want to stick its often a one phrase statement
that hides a valid three paragraph reason that's not relevant to the
subject under discussion. If I asked a question that included the
above so as to explain why I was asking (plus some more to cover my
full real situation), how many of those who knew the answer would
even read the question? How many would miss the question among the
irrelevant detail? Don't expect the full truth of the background to
all questions. It's not important.

Last year I migrated my father from my old Classic-II (twelve year
old disc drive) to my less-old Bondi iMac that I had loaded with 10.2
earlier. I wish I'd downgraded it to 9.2 first so he didn't have to
learn anything new. At 86 the change has knocked his ability to use
it way back. He's not new to computers. He introduced me to the first
I ever saw in about 1961 and was doing some quite advanced stuff till
he retired. He got my Classic-II when his BBC A with Forth and Lisp
died. He says the if he outlasts the Bondi he'll just stop using a
computer. It's just not that important to him.

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk