[X4U] PCI vs PCI Experss

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Mon Jan 15 14:07:09 PST 2007

> >> I  am wondering if the pci cards that I have in my G4 933 are usable
> >> in my new Mac Pro 2.66?
> >
> > It looks like all you have for slots are 4 full length PCI-Express
> > expansion slots, which is interesting.  I'm afraid you're out of luck.
> >
> > Also makes me that much more convinced I want to go Firewire for adding
> > an Audio interface to my G5 2x2.
>
> That is what I am thinking. I have not opened up the computer and
> inspected the PCI Express slots to see if they have different
> configurations.

I'm 99.999% sure they're incompatible.

PCI had 3.3V and 5V
PCI-X can use most 3.3V or dual voltage PCI cards
PCI-Express is something new, different and incompatible

The typical PC motherboard has PCI-Express and PCI slots right now, just
like they used to have ISA and PCI.  I really think Apple dropped the ball
on their handling of slots the last few years, but it might have not been
worth the effort to handle it better.

	Zane