[X4U] PCI vs PCI Experss

Jens Selvig lstnmt at bresnan.net
Mon Jan 15 12:42:56 PST 2007

On Jan 15, 2007, at 11:20 AM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

>> I  am wondering if the pci cards that I have in my G4 933 are usable
>> in my new Mac Pro 2.66?
>
> It looks like all you have for slots are 4 full length PCI-Express
> expansion
> slots, which is interesting.  I'm afraid you're out of luck.
>
> Also makes me that much more convinced I want to go Firewire for
> adding an
> Audio interface to my G5 2x2.

That is what I am thinking. I have not opened up the computer and
inspected the PCI Express slots to see if they have different
configurations.

>> For those interested, I have found a significant speed upgrade in
>> Photoshop CS2 on the newer machine as compared to the G4. A few
>> things seem a bit slower. Like the save dialog window seems a bit
>> slow in opening when I am saving a file as a jpg.
>>
>> Jens
>> ...lost in Montana...
>
> Did you change OS versions as well when you upgraded?  Maybe the
> slowdown is
> something to do with Rosetta?  It seems a bit strange.

No I have both computers running the same OS 10.4.8. The slowdown is
most likely a Rosetta issue. A neat menu item would be a little
indicator for when Rosetta was executing code. It certainly would be
interesting but I suppose you would need to have a light for each of
the 4 processors.