[X4U] Remembering passwords

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 17 15:26:52 PST 2007

On 1/17/07 2:27 PM, Crandon David <tabdave at ca.rr.com> wrote:

> Most of the time, when visiting a web page that requires
> "registration", after I put in my ID and password, my Mac will ask me
> if I want it to remember the ID and Password.

These are stored as Keychain entries. If you open Keychain Access in your
Utilities folder, you can find these listed as Internet password entries.

> Sometimes, it doesn't ask me, yet it will automatically log me in the
> next time I'm there, without showing me the login page.

These are also stored in Keychain, but are called Web form passwords. In
Safari's Autofill preference pane, they are called "User names and
passwords" and if you have it checked it will automatically remember them
and not ask you.

> Sometimes, it won't ask me if it wants to remember the ID and
> Password, but I'd like it to.

Those pages are typically secure web sites (URL begins with https and
there's a padlock icon in the corner). The web sites can request that the
browser not be able to remember or autofill the username or password and the
latest versions of Safari respect that request. AFAIK there is no way to
bypass that.

--
Eddie Hargreaves
Stockton, CA