[X4U] Remembering passwords

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Wed Jan 17 15:18:42 PST 2007

At 14:27 -0800 1/17/07, Crandon David wrote:
>Sometimes, it doesn't ask me, yet it will automatically log me in the  next time I'm there, without showing me the login page.

It is likely that route is because the previous access has left an internet cookie on your machine that did not expire. Any browser will look for cookies associated with a web site and send them off on the first call. If the site sees the cookie it will let you right in. It's less than highly secure and you'll never find a bank doing something like that.

>Sometimes, it will automatically fill out the ID and password, but I  have to press return/enter.
>
>Sometimes, it won't ask me if it wants to remember the ID and  Password, but I'd like it to.
>
>I know that it has something to do with either Keychain and/or  Safari's autofill.

Perhaps not. It may be the way the page is programmed.

>Why does  it sometimes ask, sometimes not, and most importantly, how  do I get it to automatically fill in the ID and Password when it  never asks?

Given the way JavaScript can be programmed to check each character as you type it there are things that are almost impossible to simulate in software. Chalk it up to paranoia on the part of web developers and vote with your feet by not going back. When I can't copy a password from a text file and paste it into a web page I typically forget about that merchant.

Have a look at some of the source code. After a while you'll be convinced that a lot of it is prepared by paid consultants who have a vested interest in never writing anything so simple that anyone else can edit it.
--

Applescript syntax is like English spelling:
Roughly, though not thoroughly, thought through.