[X4U] PQI 4GB USB drive copy slowness versus Cruzer Mini 256MB USB

John F. Richardson richards at spawar.navy.mil
Wed Jan 17 19:59:44 PST 2007

Hello,

G5 Panther OSX 10.3.9
The PQI 4GB USB drive is a USB 2 drive according to the profiler.
I have a Cruzer Mini 256MB USB 2 drive.

When I format the drive on a PC and then copy the same large amounts of data
to the Cruzer (under 256 MB of course but over 10MB and mostly over 100MB)
and also to the PQI, the time to copy the data to the PQI is taking a factor
of 3-10 times the time it takes to copy to the PQI.

Note: If I format the drives for Mac journaled files, the copy operations
are blazingly fast on both USB drives. However, this will not allow transfer
of files to PC's and my Mini running boot camp.

Any ideas on the time discrepancies?

Drivers? Size of the drive?

John F. Richardson