[X4U] Most advanced Video Codec WMV?

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu Jan 18 07:18:47 PST 2007

On Jan 17, 2007, at 3:05 PM, Rod Duncan wrote:

> . Someone had suggested WMV to her, too. I came back suggesting QT
> (H.264) Her other someone had also suggested doing a Flash version. ??

Another factor in determining what's "best" is who will be able to
play the file. Of the three mentioned above, only H264 is an industry
(MPEG) standard not owned/controlled by a single company. It is an
open (but not free) standard. AFAIK, it is fully supported on just
about every platform, and likely will be for many years to come. The
same can not be said for WMV, as we've seen Mac support waning already.

-Mike