[X4U] MP3 in iTunes vs. LAME (Was: Most advanced Video Codec WMV?)

B. Kuestner kuestner at macnews.de
Mon Jan 22 08:52:26 PST 2007

>> You can tell iTunes to encode MP3 and invest more or less effort
>> in the task. So setting it to 128 kb/s VBR will give you different
>> results if you tell iTunes to be quick about it or analyze the
>> audio material much longer to get the best result. But even then
>> the LAME encoder still does better at the same bitrate than
>> iTunes' built-in encoder as far as MP3 is concerned, even if you
>> put iTunes to the highest encoding effort/quality.
>
> I'm not doubting you, but curious. What are your grounds for this
> statement? Have you done a blind listening-test of LAME v iTunes
> encoding yourself, or is this widely documented on the web? Or is
> it simply that posters to the LAME mailing list regularly make the
> same assertion?

Hi Stroller. No, I am not on the LAME mailing list. And I don't use
the LAME codec myself. I prefer to use AAC, because my music eco-
system is all Apple. Well, it was: I now have a car stereo that
supports MP3-CDs but not AAC. So I am beginning to somewhat regret my
decision to use AAC.

My strongest case for the above statement is a test I remember in
German c't-magazine. It was a true "blind" test in that the listeners
did not know which codec they were listening to nor the bitrates.

> Whilst I was aware that in theory different encoders could produce
> different qualities of audio I guess I'd somewhat expect it to
> apply more to image or movie compression. Now you have me all
> paranoid that I shouldn't be ripping my songs in iTunes, even
> though I'm unlikely to be able to hear the difference myself!

Well, putting the paranoia-factor aside, I myself am not that picky
about the compression settings. And if it has never bothered you
before, it should not now. From my own listening experience I find
the biggest sound factors in the original CD quality and the
downstream chain, the MP3/AAC player and the amp/speakers or
headphones respectively. Environment noise also comes in much higher
than the losses through MP3 or AAC compression. If I really want to
max out the listening experience, I put in the original CD anyway.
But still, since I got my nice-nice stereo I am quite disappointed
with the job of many recording studios. Some recordings (e. g. Pink
Floyd and Dire Straits) sound just amazing. But others sound just as
flat and well, exhausted, as they did on the old stereo.

Compared to the impact of the speakers/headphones, the amp, the
studio recording the player and the cables used, the codec impact is
in my experience negligible once you cross a certain level (160 VBR
for MP3 and 128 for AAC). It's there, probably, yes, but who cares
when the wind or car noises obscure much, much more and the headphone
is weak in the low frequencies. I got back to the position that I
just want to enjoy my music and not spoil the enjoyment through nit-
picking.

But if you really want to use LAME you don't have to miss out on the
iTunes convenience.

<http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/8837>

Björn