[X4U] Migrate without Firewire link.

Michael J. Prevost mprevost at dot4.com
Fri Jan 19 14:40:17 PST 2007

John,

I think that Russell is suggesting that you temporarily move the iMac
G5's internal drive to the Firewire enclosure. Then connect  the
Firewire enclosure to the new Mac and run the Migration Assistant.
Then return the drive to the old iMac.

Another variant: Connect your external USB the iMac G5. Run a disk
cloner to make the USB drive a copy of the iMac internal drive. Now
move the disk drive out of the USB enclosure and into the Firewire
enclosure. Plug Firewire enclosure into the new Mac and run Migration
Assistant.

As far as system files are concerned... Migration Assistant will know
what to copy and what to  leave behind. It will capture the important
configuration files, preferences, etc., etc. Applications that are
PPC  only will also be copied and since they can be executed on the
new Mac via Rosetta.

Once you resolve the Firewire connection, the rest should go smoothly.

Mike

--
Michael J. Prevost
Dot4, Inc.