[X4U] Re: hijacking threads

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Fri Jan 19 16:05:29 PST 2007

On 1/19/07 5:45 PM, Doug McNutt wrote:

> Note the last line and think about those "important mail clients" of which I
> spoke. RFC2822 and its cousins make interesting reading if you're really
> interested in the proper way to do things.

Doug,

"Proper"?

I'm not interested in Threads. My clients don't "do" threads, so it's
inadvisable for me to try to make it work here. I do "Subject" because it
works when they reply to a two year old message and just change the subject.

Believe you me, if Mail did what I need, I would use it exclusively.
However, it does not, so half of my accounts are rec'd in Entourage, almost
half in Mail, and two in Thunderbird.

The only place I see the "Threads" discussion is on Mac lists. My request
for someone to explain it was for people who don't understand or don't yet
know the difference. I know the difference, I've lived through it a dozen
times on various Mac lists in the past year. Personally, I don't care
whether people thread or not; my point was that if people are going to
request different behavior from people, they ought to also explain WHY for
people who don't understand what they are doing wrong.

> It would really be much better if everyone used the references but some
> important mail clients have their own ideas about how the universe should be
> organized.

I'm not the Email Police; I'm not compelled to tell other people how to
write their email. You've confused me with someone else! I'm not trying to
tell anyone how to organize the universe. You (the collective "you", not you
personally) can try to change the world and get everyone to properly Thread
their messages, or you can adapt to what people actually DO, and group by
Subject. :-)  It's your choice. Doesn't make my way wrong.