[X4U] Re: hijacking threads

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Jan 21 04:59:25 PST 2007

On 20 Jan 2007, at 00:05, Linda wrote:

> On 1/19/07 5:45 PM, Doug McNutt wrote:
>
>> Note the last line and think about those "important mail clients"
>> of which I
>> spoke. RFC2822 and its cousins make interesting reading if you're
>> really
>> interested in the proper way to do things.
>
> Doug,
>
> "Proper"?

I think in this context "proper" means "as agreed by the people who
define the standards of the internet". Not all RFCs are standards of
the internet, but if someone refers you to one in the context of a
discussion then I'd guess it probably does have consensus.

> I'm not interested in Threads. My clients don't "do" threads, so it's
> inadvisable for me to try to make it work here. I do "Subject"
> because it
> works when they reply to a two year old message and just change the
> subject.

Yes, but you shouldn't have to. Your mail client may do other
wonderful things that cause you to be happy with it and make your
life easier in other ways, but ignoring the references in the header
is a failing. I'm not saying you should change email client, but just
because some mail clients don't display threads doesn't make it "ok"
for people to make a post on a new subject by clicking reply &
deleting everything but the "to" address.

> the only place I see the "Threads" discussion is on Mac lists.

I guess I must be more widely read that you.  ;)

Stroller.