[X4U] Re: Hijacking threads

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Sun Jan 21 09:58:33 PST 2007

On 1/21/07 11:41 AM, Wendy S. Austin wrote:

> I use Threads.    When someone replies to a question in one Thread
> but then simply changes the subject line, it still shows up in the
> original subject line Thread, albeit with a different subject
> line.    The problem for me is that I will view the first subject
> line of the message in the Thread and decide whether to expand the
> Thread and read all the messages, or if it does not interest me, I
> will delete the whole Thread with all the now unread messages in
> it.   Which means the message that has a different subject line, gets
> deleted as well and it might be something that I would have wanted to
> read or even been able to help the sender with.   Have I confused you
> even more?

At last. Someone explained it in language anyone can understand.

You didn't confuse *me* -- I know threads, I use them in another email
program, when I can, when list participation allows.

But, because so many people don't understand them, I have found that they
are relatively useless because they become so easily broken/hijacked -- in
the very ways you state. My original point: Requesting someone do something
without explaining to them "why" rarely results in changed behavior. At
last, you have provided the "why" so that the people who weren't properly
threading understand what is happening with their messages.