[X4U] X-serve vs. Mac Pro as server

Tim Collier timjcollier at mac.com
Wed Jan 24 02:58:17 PST 2007

On Jan 23, 2007, at 11:20 PM, Ronald Steinke wrote:

> On 23 Jan 2007, at 20:12, Stroller wrote:
>
>> I have no experience of File Maker Pro - I've never encountered
>> anyone using it on Windows (certainly none of my 600+ customers)
>> and I have to admit that I look down on it as a snotty little old-
>> fashioned database program that's "not a real server"
>

> OOOOOOOH! Don't let the people at FM-Pro home office hear you say
> that.
>
> Haven't you sat through their demonstration lately? They claim that
> it will do everything except wash the dishes for you.

I used to be an Access addict back before I switched to the Mac.
FileMaker Pro 7 (at that time) was my choice as a database app when I
switched.  I'm using 8.5 now and it's excellent.  Just because YOU
haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it isn't a very good database
management application.  It actually has a lot of things built in
that are a LOT easier than in Access.  The only thing I'd like to see
is the ability to use an SQL query on it....but you can't do that in
the Pro version, to use an SQL query, you have to run Filemaker
server.  But it's an excellent application with the ability to manage
huge amounts of information and share it over a local intranet (at
least in my case).

Tim

--
Tengo un manojo encantador de cocos.