[X4U] X-serve vs. Mac Pro as server

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Wed Jan 24 04:49:26 PST 2007

On 1/23/07 8:20 PM, "Ronald Steinke" <ronsteinke at mac.com> wrote:

> OOOOOOOH! Don't let the people at FM-Pro home office hear you say that.
>
> Haven't you sat through their demonstration lately? They claim that
> it will do everything except wash the dishes for you.

The sarcasm is palpable. Are you concurring that FileMaker is NOT where I
should be looking for this type of project? Stroller suggested Leopard
Server/iCal server. I suspect (though don't know) that it would not be up to
the task of managing a fairly large demographics database of all our
patients, referring physicians, insurance companies, etc., integrating that
into a multi-user replica of a paper appointment book accessible over the
web through secure sockets, encrypting all transactions that are accessible
to passworded users in a manner that complies fully with the US Federal
HIPAA statute.

FileMaker claims that such solutions can be created easily with FileMaker
Server. Are they blowing smoke?

Jim Robertson