[X4U] MP3 in iTunes vs. LAME [off-topic]

David Ledger dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 25 02:17:58 PST 2007

>From: "B. Kuestner" <kuestner at macnews.de>
>Subject: Re: [X4U] MP3 in iTunes vs. LAME [off-topic]
>>  The term 'HiFi' has degraded over the years. Modern 'HiFi' kit
>>  wouldn't even be considered by audiophiles from the days when it
>>  was actually difficult technically to get quality sound. A bottom
>>  end cutoff of 60Hz is acceptable now. I remember systems where you
>>  could feel the bass that was too low in pitch to hear. The speaker
>>  current required would melt normal speaker cable now.
>
>Nice thing to imagine. But the electric characteristics of modern
>speaker cables are _not_ worse than those of say 20 years ago. If
>anything, then it is more the opposite, at least if compared on an
>inflation-compensated per-price basis: So for 1 hour of work you will
>get better cables today than 20 years ago.
<snip>
>Bj–rn

You miss my point. Now almost any CD/Radio/iPod box is sold as HiFi.
Do you regard a system with a 60Hz cutoff as HiFi?  I don't - but
that's what it says on the box. 40 years ago a radio / record player
with a spec that could be classed as HiFi today would be sold as a
Radiogram. They'd be laughed at if they sold it as HiFi. (Modern
high-end specs are much better though - compared to old High Street
products; partly due to speaker cone materials). To do good bass you
need to shift some air. Tiny speakers can't do that.

As to speaker cables, I meant cables used for speakers in modern kit
with 'HiFi' on the box rather than proper cables made for speakers. I
looked at systems in an electrical goods chain store recently and I'd
rate the cable they used at no more than an amp. The twist tie
bundling it up was thicker (well, almost).

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk