[X4U] [Will Macs run Lenix?

Earle Jones earle.jones at comcast.net
Thu Jan 25 10:24:06 PST 2007

On Jan 25, 2007, at 7:49 AM, Richard Gilmore wrote:

> I tried installing Fedora (A Linux Distro) on my old G4 got through
> the
> install process etc...but couldn't get it to actually boot
> afterwards. I
> think the Intels would be easier to install. I read a story that
> Apple gave
> Linus Torvalds a G5 a couple of years ago and he of course ran
> Linux and
> proclaimed that the PPC architecture was the way of the future.
>
> Now does anybody know how to make a Mactel into a dual boot OSX/Linux?
> There's a triple boot method I read about that requires Windows and
> Boot
> Camp but I'm not sure about a dual boot.
>
> Any ideas?

*
The Jan, '07 issue of MacAddict (page 72) has an interesting "How To"
article on how to run Ubuntu Linux on a Power Book.  It says that the
procedure for an Intel Mac is approximately the same (you need to
download the Intel Mac version of Ubuntu -- all free of course).

It requires you to set up a MacOSX partition and an Ubuntu partition
on the same disk.

The trickiest part seemed to be getting the Airport connection to work.

But the instructions are pretty clear.

The free download is 700MB, but you can get a free CD if you prefer
<www.ubuntu.com>

Have fun!

earle
*