[X4U] iPod/iTunes problem

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Wed Jul 4 20:33:45 PDT 2007

On 7/4/07 10:18 PM, Michael Elliott wrote:

> I'm not sure, but I think that the reason for the obfuscation is part of the
> anti-piracy concessions that allowed the iTunes store in the first place.

Yep. You can only play purchased iTunes music on up to 5 computers
authorized to your account. You can put the music on an unlimited number of
iPods, but you can't move the music back off the iPod onto another computer
-- and if you back up your computer you shouldn't need to move the music off
the iPod onto your own computer (I pass no judgment on anyone who doesn't
back up, I'm only repeating the "party line"). This is all part of the
digital rights management.