[X4U] OT:Net Neutrality: R.I.P.

nk netkat at comcast.net
Tue Jul 10 11:20:34 PDT 2007

On Jul 10, 2007, at 11:13 AM, Richard Gilmore wrote:

> Yes I most certainly agree. The death of net neutrality will see the
> return
> of slow loading pages with dial up speeds despite paying for "high
> speed"
> access.

while a slower internet is certainly a buzz-kill, what's the greater
issue and problem here is that Big Business tilts the game table even
more in their favor.

as if laws in place don't already give corporations enough of an
advantage; they now want to flense all others who aren't in the
super-giga-mega-bucks league. that includes small-time companies trying
to get their business off the ground.

Remember, there was a time when Apple computer was just 2 guys in a
garage.

It's bad enough that they've hijacked the public radio waves—which
belong to the people—now, the internet to which we were lured with
promises that anyone could play on equal footing, is about to succumb
to the same bottomless pit that is their hunger for power and control.

as for those who care only about getting fast, cheap entertainment:
what you will be able to get will be a function of what Big Money
decides it wants you to have, not what you want to have.

nk