[X4U] OT - need to pop the keybd on an HP

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Jul 12 12:14:13 PDT 2007

On 12 Jul 2007, at 18:04, nk wrote:
> I got busy right away with tissue and blotted up all the water I
> could find, but wonder if I should try to pop the keyboard to
> locate and blot any water that might be under there.
>
> anyone know of a site that shows how to do this?  I am searching
> right now myself, but I think time is key on this issue...thanks to
> anyone who can  help with a link!

It'll depend on the model of HP Pavillion.

You need to google for "HP Pavillion N5430 disassembly", "HP
Pavillion N5190 repair" &/or "HP Pavillion ze5400ea keyboard
repair" (replacing N5430, N5190 & ze5400ea with your model number as
appropriate). These are sure to bring up appropriate hits.

<http://lonewolf-online.net/computers/tutorial/
hp_pavilion_ze5400_dismantle/> is an example of the sort of thing
you'll find. It's quite common to have a cover above the keyboard
that is pried off, as shown in photos 3 & 4 on that page. Sometimes
the correct way to pry it off is at the edge , rather than the
underneath. You have to be careful & sure you're doing it right,
because often a little bit of force is required to unseat the clips
that hold the facia in place - it can be disconcerting to apply the
correct amount of force but it is no problem if you're following the
correct procedure. Often the cover above the keyboard forms the cover
for the laptop hinge, and is held on by screws on the other side of
that hinge - see <http://www.physics.harvard.edu/~motl/hp-keyboard/
PlasticHingeCoverLeft.JPG>.

Now I have some practice at disassembling PC laptops I can often
identify upon inspection the disassembly procedure.

Stroller.