[X4U] Clock problem

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Jul 15 03:53:31 PDT 2007

On 15 Jul 2007, at 01:00, Thomas W Noel wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2007, at 1:22 PM, Stroller wrote:
>>
>>  /etc/localtime is the way to set timezone in Unix but I have no
>> idea whether OS X respects it.
>
> Sorry I got it fixed so soon!  ; > )
>
> I don't think Apple uses the usual Unix files. There are cities
> listed in the Date and Time pref panel that don't appear there.

Don't appear where? /usr/share/zoneinfo/ has a number of subdirectories.
`ls -R /usr/share/zoneinfo/` for a full list of files.

I believe that the zoneinfo database is the only centralised source
for timezone & global daylight-savings information. I'd doubt that
Apple (or Microsoft or anyone else) would be getting their
information from anywhere else.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoneinfo
http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm

In my mind the question is whether Mac OS respects the contents of /
etc/localtime or whether the symlink is merely created for the
benefit of 3rd-part *nix programs when you set the timezone in the
GUI (and stored elsewhere for the benefit of MacOS itself).

Stroller.