[X4U] Clock problem

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Sun Jul 15 06:08:52 PDT 2007

Does anyone have reliable information on just what is stored in the system clock?

I'm pretty sure it was seconds since Jan 0 1904 as observed in the selected local time zone in MacOS 1. But was it DST sensitive? Or was the DST part arranged in the display only?

And just what is it now with 64 bits of time stored as seconds?

And what is it in the underlying BSD kernel of Mac OS neXt? I think it's seconds from Jan 0 1970 as measured in universal time coordinated - UTC - but disregarding leap seconds.

I would hope that time stamps placed on stored files were independent of governments' vagaries regarding daylight time but are they? If I read a file from an early OS machine on OS neXt do I have to correct for system differences before I compare with a local copy?
--

--> Evolution made it possible for mankind to invent religion. <--