[X4U] OT: Harry Potter stumbles on Windows XP

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Jul 16 11:46:54 PDT 2007

On 16 Jul 2007, at 18:32, John Erdman wrote:
>>> For my grandkids I recently bought on eBay a new-in-box set of 4
>>> Harry Potter games intending to run them in Win-XP on the Boot camp
>>> side.
>>
>> This mailing list is for discussion of Mac OS X. You should really
>> post to a Windows-orientated mailing list if you have problems
>> with Windows.
>

> I don't disagree, however up until your reassurances I wasn't at
> all sure that I may be having a problem  unique to the Mac Boot
> camp implementation of Win XP.

No, that can't be the case. the only difference between an Intel Mac
& any other PC is that the Mac is unique in using EFI (??) instead of
a BIOS. Once the Mac has started loading Windows (when you see, for
instance, the Windows XP logo as a splashscreen) it becomes just any
old PC.

The first problem is DEFINITELY not unique to the Mac, as you state
it behaves similarly with a Compac laptop. What clock speed is that?
Might I hazard it's a Pentium 4 of 2ghz or 3ghz?

> ... since I have been active and helpful to others on this list for
> 4+ years that this the group just might cut me a little slack.
> Thanks for the slack you did provide.

A pleasure. I appreciate that saying "EA Games should fix it" doesn't
solve the problem if they don't and that getting a refund could be a
disappointment when (you're 8 years old and) what you really want to
do is play the game. I'm afraid you could have a lot of leg-work,
however, if you want to get this sorted.

I suppose that running the games in Parallels or some (other?)
virtual machine (VM ware?) might slow them down enough to be
playable, but if you're not already running something like that then
it may not be a 2-minute solution.

Stroller.