[X4U] DVD's

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue Jul 17 12:51:15 PDT 2007

On 17 Jul, 2007, at 7:46 AM, Robert wrote:

> I purchased some brand name DVD+RWs. When using toast 8 to erase
> them I get a "The drive reported an error: Sense Key = Medium Error
> Sense Code = 0x31. 0x01 Format Command Failed" I phoned the company
> and they did send me some replacement disks. THey fail with the
> same error.

My questions to your posting are:

Why try to erase a brand new disc? They are not formatted and should
not have any data on them at all. They are virgin and you have no
reason to try erasing them,

Or.....

do you mean that you recorded some data on them and are trying to
erase that data now and are getting the error message when you try?

Look at your machine through System Profiler. Check the data under
disc burning capability. That will list the methods of burning that
your machine is capable of performing.

I believe that you should not be trying DVD+RW discs at all. I
remember reading something, somewhere, somewhen, that many of the
burners installed in Macs at the factory should only be used with -RW
type discs, not +RW discs.