[X4U] RAM Memory - What's the max?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Jul 20 15:18:30 PDT 2007

On 20 Jul 2007, at 15:27, Robert A. Virzi wrote:

> More memory is good.  I have heard conflicting reports on max
> memory for macbook pros.  I have a 2 Ghz intel core duo MBP with 2
> gig of RAM.  I'd like to add more, especially to help with running
> Parallels.  I've heard:
>
> 2 gig RAM is the max
>
> 3 gig (1Gb and 2Gb strip) will work (Apple store)
>
> 4 gig (2 2Gb strips) see http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?
> Item=N82E16820146684
>
> Does anyone have experience in going over the original 2 GB RAM
> limit on this machine?

I was surprised to read the Apple Store recommending 3gig, but it
appears they are correct:

Normally on modern PCs (Core & Core2 Duos, some Pentium 4s & AMDs but
not sure which models) it's preferred to keep both sticks of RAM the
same size (usually a "matched pair" of the specification is used) in
order to allow "dual-channel" access. This basically means that half
of each byte is stored in each stick of RAM which allows for faster
memory access than waiting to get the whole byte from a single stick.

Unmatched pairs don't allow the RAM to operate in dual-channel mode
and from reading those articles I think 2 x 2gig sticks in a MacBook
Pro wouldn't either.

Realistically, however, the speed difference is negligible for most
applications - all the discussions I've read about this have been on
a video-playback mailing list. User observations there seem to
suggest you can only tell when using the machine for 1920 x 1080 hi-
def video - which is quite demanding - when the machine is at its
limits anyway. EG: 1 x 1gig stick (in single-channel mode) might
stutter during playback whereas 2 x 512meg sticks (dual-channel) or 1
x 2gig (single-channel) would not. Note that the 1 x 1gig RAM might
not cause a faster processor to stutter.

 From the Apple articles you'd benefit from replacing one of your
1gig sticks with a 2gig, providing your apps are using it. Clearly
this would work and the only reason not to is if you're concerned
about the cost - to estimate if the investment would be worthwhile
the best thing to do is open Activity Monitor & watch how much free
memory you have. Memory is shown by selecting the 2nd tab, 2/3 down
the page, and is shown in green. Check back in that window
periodically and when your 2gig Mac is out of free memory then that
is when you'll benefit (my some inestimable amount) from the extra
RAM. If you're running Parallels (and Safari and Mail and Word
and ...) and there's still green in the pie-chart then the expense of
extra RAM would be of no benefit. Of my new 2gig RAM nearly half is
still unused and I've been using my machine moderately for a number
of hours today.

I make these remarks because I'd personally find it cost-prohibitive
to throw away 1gig of RAM to increase memory by only 50% - whereas I
might be prepared to dispose of both sticks were I able to double the
RAM (and I felt the need). It's not clear from Apple's site whether
the 3gig maximum is a limitation of 10.4 or of the MacBook itself - I
guess since a G5 or (presumably) MacPro can use 4gig that the
MacBookPro is the cause and that there's no chance that later o/s
updates will allow use of 4gig in it.

Stroller