[X4U] RAM Memory - What's the max?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Jul 21 04:58:40 PDT 2007

On 21 Jul 2007, at 08:06, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>> I have a simple desktop system but use lots of ram and still page
>> quite a bit. I would like to bump it up to 64G but IIRC the max I
>> can have is 16. Why does Apple seeming limit the ram on their
>> systems?
>
> You want 64GB of RAM in your Desktop system?!?!

?!?!  indeed.
But it would be cool, though, wouldn't it?

> What on earth are you running that you need that much RAM?  Some
> kind of massive simulations?  I'm curious to know, why anyone would
> need 64GB of RAM on their desktop at this point.

I'm pretty sure I read this week that medium-format is still in use
in the most-glossy kinds of modelling & advertising photography.
Digital backs for these cameras come in at c 22 megapixels, IIRC, and
the RAW files must be pretty large. One might surmise that an owner
of such a camera or a Photoshopper working on such images could put
16gig RAM to use.

Stroller.