[X4U] RAM Memory - What's the max?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sat Jul 21 09:57:48 PDT 2007

At 12:58 PM +0100 7/21/07, Stroller wrote:
>On 21 Jul 2007, at 08:06, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>>
>>You want 64GB of RAM in your Desktop system?!?!
>
>?!?!  indeed.
>But it would be cool, though, wouldn't it?

As electricity costs go up, I'm better learning to differentiate
between cool and necessary.  The more RAM, the more that system costs
to run.  I'm even having to start to look at the number of HD's
spinning.

>>What on earth are you running that you need that much RAM?  Some
>>kind of massive simulations?  I'm curious to know, why anyone would
>>need 64GB of RAM on their desktop at this point.
>
>I'm pretty sure I read this week that medium-format is still in use
>in the most-glossy kinds of modelling & advertising photography.
>Digital backs for these cameras come in at c 22 megapixels, IIRC,
>and the RAW files must be pretty large. One might surmise that an
>owner of such a camera or a Photoshopper working on such images
>could put 16gig RAM to use.

Good point, *HIGH* end Photoshop use always pushes the limits :^)
I'm would assume high-end systems for working on HD Video streams
also benefit.  Other than these two areas though most things that
need massive amounts of RAM seem better suited to other platforms.

		Zane